It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:21 pm

A small issue 

Post A small issue
I think this may be an issue with my phone but I can't find a solution so I thought I'd ask here.

Whenever I use the virtual gamepad after approx 1 second I stop moving and must keep pressing the button repeatedly to move. I think my phone is registering this as a "long press" if I hold the direction button.

I can not find a way to disable this in my phones settings or box fox's settings.

My phone is an Acer liquid mini BTW.

Thanks for any help.

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 am
Site Admin

Post Re: A small issue
That's quite odd, I've never seen that on any device I've tested. I'll see if there are any workarounds on google. What android version did you have?

Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:44 am

I checked under phone settings > android version. It is 2.3.5

I also did a check just now to see if an update was available for my phone but there is not.

Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 am

Any luck? It's getting a bit frustrating. Thanks.

Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:28 pm
Site Admin

Sorry I haven't been able to find anything on it on the internet, and I haven't been able to replicate the problem on any of my devices, quite frustrating also.

Do you get the same problem if you hold the screen in rusted warfare, as they are both using the same touch api. Maybe if you do the circle select in rusted warfare does it stop before you let go of the screen?

Also do you still have the same problem with the 'Offset joystick' input mode in box fox?

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:42 am

I understand your frustration with faults you are unable to replicate, I used to be a service tech and I knew the fault would replicate as soon as it was back in the customers hands.

Yes, the same problem exists with the offset joystick in box fox. I checked rusted warfare and the same thing happens there although the selection circle gets large first. So large I had always released it prior to it stopping on it's own so had never noticed. Because of this it is not an issue in RW.

Thanks

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:22 pm

I may have a solution... I can jump continuously for as long as I like by pressing and holding. I guess this is due to your program sending a "jump" command every so many seconds as long as the button is held? If you could so the same with the directional controls by sending a "move" command every so many seconds would this work?

Sorry if my ignorance of programming means I'm just talking gibberish :]

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:35 am
Site Admin

Quote:
I checked rusted warfare and the same thing happens there although the selection circle gets large first. So large I had always released it prior to it stopping on it's own so had never noticed. Because of this it is not an issue in RW.

Yeah I guess it's quite lucky with Rusted Warfare.

Quote:
I may have a solution... I can jump continuously for as long as I like by pressing and holding. I guess this is due to your program sending a "jump" command every so many seconds as long as the button is held? If you could so the same with the directional controls by sending a "move" command every so many seconds would this work?

Well that jumping point is quite interesting. I just double checked the code, and jump is not treated any differently to movement, touch wise. The action button is also the same, so you could see if you can hold action to pickup and drop a box? They are just read 'is this area being touched?' true/false. The only difference is really gameplay wise, and where the buttons are on the screen. So the two things I'm now thinking that it could be:

-The phone is sending touch actions to both the left and right buttons, or it is flickering between them fast?

-Maybe where the buttons are positioned might matter, have you tried moving the position of the controls on the screen? But I'm guessing if it happens in Rusted Warfare with the circle selection it would still be an issue.

But yeah the fact that jump works is quite interesting, it might help to narrow it down.

Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:54 pm

The action button also works continuously. I tried the d-pad in several locations and all had the same results, I also tried using my smallest finger to be more accurate in case I was pressing two buttons at the same time. That didn't work either.

With the action and jump button both working it has me wondering... both those buttons trigger an action that is finite. For example, I jump and I land or I pick the box up or put the box down. After this finite action is completed does the code check the binary state of the button (T/F?)

Walking is an infinite action with no obvious point to check the buttons binary state(you can keep "walking" even with an obstacle in your way)... this seems to me like the most obvious difference between these actions. But I'm the first to admit I'm probably wrong!

Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:21 pm
Site Admin

Hmm very odd. All the states for the buttons are checked the same way, where your fingers are gets tracked, and if anything is over a button it's set to true, else it's false.

Very odd that action is also fine, I'll have a look though the code and see if I can think of anything. Might be useful if I could get you to run a debug build if that's ok. or maybe a build which switches a move button with the action button and see if it still has the same problems.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:53 am

Hi,

Yes, I'm perfectly happy to test a few things out under your direction. Just let me know.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:09 am
Site Admin

Awesome. I'll make up a build when I get chance. Are you able to easily record the android logs, or should I write out a file to the SD card?

Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:46 am

No need!

I played the game in portrait and it works perfectly. If I play landscape (which I prefer) the d-pad works perfectly if I put it on the RHS of the screen but this feels awkward.

There seems to be only a small strip along one edge of my screen which has this strange anomaly. Would you be able to do an update where you can drag the d-pad to any position and then lock it there? This would solve the problem entirely if I could move it out of the strip without having to put in on the RHS.

Thanks.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:51 pm
Site Admin

I see quite odd. You can move the d-pad and the action buttons to any edge of the screen you like from the settings. I may need to make this more obvious.

Or do you just mean moving it down from the edge a bit. I could add a way to do that, but not sure about having users drag it around, or they will be accidentally moving it all the time.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:08 am

Sorry maybe I wasn't clear.

I noticed you can put it in any corner but both corners on the left have the issue and using the d-pad on the right feels awkward to play as it is the opposite of every game I have ever played.

I just meant drag it in a little as you suggested. By drag it then lock it to a position I was implying through a menu option under input settings, that way you couldn't accidentally move it in game.

Thanks.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:56 pm