It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Terrain costs / impassable terrain 

Post Terrain costs / impassable terrain
Hey Luke,

I've been able to make and load my own maps. Couple of questions.

1 - are any of the terrain (besides water) impassible? Seems like if I make a set of mountains, snow, ice my units can just roll over those with no problem.

2 - you mentioned in the blog that you had terrain costs. Is that implemented for routing? If so, what are the values of the different types of terrains. Would be cool if grass where easier than sand which is easier than hills, which is easier than mountains. Maybe mountains are impassible? It seemed to me that units roll over them all at the same speed and have no preferrence to which terrain to pick. Maybe I am missing something.

3 - looks like the rule.txt for automapping supports ice-water, ice-snow, grass-water, grass-mountain, mountain-water, mountain-ice, mountain-snow transitions. Sand does not work with automap for example. I will look at the docs for Tiled to see if I can update your rules.txt files for you. Unless you've got a more recent version?

Thanks!

Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Post Re: Terrain costs / impassable terrain
I have an updated rules.tmx that supports automapping for

dirt - ShallowWater
sand - ShallowWater
LongGrass - Dirt

Luke, let me know your email address and I can send it to you.

Thanks

Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm
Site Admin

Quote:
"1 - are any of the terrain (besides water) impassible? Seems like if I make a set of mountains, snow, ice my units can just roll over those with no problem. "

Cliffs should also be impassable. The rules for what's impassable is set in the map, so you are able to change it if you think it makes sense for something.

The impassable tags currently are: 'water', 'cliff', 'large-cliff', 'large-rock'. High cost tags are: 'small-rock', 'tree'

Quote:
"2 - you mentioned in the blog that you had terrain costs. Is that implemented for routing? If so, what are the values of the different types of terrains. Would be cool if grass where easier than sand which is easier than hills, which is easier than mountains. Maybe mountains are impassible? It seemed to me that units roll over them all at the same speed and have no preferrence to which terrain to pick. Maybe I am missing something."

I do have terrain costs, but you're right the costs are not well used, and nothing slows a units speed down. I do want to look at this, maybe also add roads which are extra fast.

Quote:
3 - looks like the rule.txt for automapping supports ice-water, ice-snow, grass-water, grass-mountain, mountain-water, mountain-ice, mountain-snow transitions. Sand does not work with automap for example. I will look at the docs for Tiled to see if I can update your rules.txt files for you. Unless you've got a more recent version?

Yeah the rules aren't complete I've been adding to it as I need it. Sand should have some automapping but it's not complete, think it only links to mountain.

Quote:
I have an updated rules.tmx that supports automapping for

dirt - ShallowWater
sand - ShallowWater
LongGrass - Dirt

Luke, let me know your email address and I can send it to you.

Thanks

Very nice, thank you. I sent you a PM with an email address, just so spam bots don't get it.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Luke,

I did a bit more testing. Looks to me like the 'impassable' properties that work are 'water', 'cliff', 'large-cliff', 'cliff-soft'
'large-rock' was still passable.
I did not see a difference when using the 'high-cost' properties [cliff-soft,small-rock,tree] in routing or unit speed. Having those be passable, but slower/cause the units to avoid, would be a cool addition.

So with this, I can build a couple of templates for others to use and some docs. If you can answer the following questions, it would make the docs more complete.

Are the triggers required?
Trigger name: map_info
properties::
fog: map
introText: \n line breaks
type: challenge,mission,skirmish
winCondition mainBuilings, commandCenter
What does the fog do? Are there other options? Others seem self explainatory.

Trigger Name: team_n_info
properties::
allyGroup: 0,1,missing
credits: 4000
team: 0,1,2,3
So does this mean we could have an AI controlled ally? Other than that seems self explanatory

move_team_n
properties:;
delay: 50000
target: 1
team: 1
unload
You used this for the three hovers that deposit some tanks then leave in campaign level 1. Can you provide more detail on this trigger?

How big of a map is supported? I tried a 300x300 tile map and it seemed to work okay. it was mostly water.

Any timeline on getting the AI to use a sea factory/drop ships to attack islands? If you create an island map, the AI creates hovertanks to attack, but can't figure out how to move builders/land units. Even if you give it some hovercrafts. Would be open to help work on that project if you want input/help.

Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm
Site Admin

I'll start putting some of this stuff the wiki I just make: http://wiki.corrodinggames.com/wiki feel free to add anything you think might be useful.

A quick reply, as it's late:

Quote:
'large-rock' was still passable.

I'll have a look, I might only be using it for the item layer.

Quote:
Having those be passable, but slower/cause the units to avoid, would be a cool addition.

Yeah I agree

fog: map, none
type: challenge,mission,skirmish, survival
winCondition: none, allUnitsAndBuildings, allBuildings, mainBuilings, commandCenter

Quote:
So does this mean we could have an AI controlled ally?

Yes, see the hovercraft in mission 1, they are allied with you.

The allyGroup groups can be shared. the team id has to be unique, and it also controls the colour of the team.

Quote:
You used this for the three hovers that deposit some tanks then leave in campaign level 1. Can you provide more detail on this trigger?

It gives a move order to all units within the trigger rectangle of that team, after the delay time. They move to the target trigger.

Quote:
How big of a map is supported? I tried a 300x300 tile map and it seemed to work okay. it was mostly water.

I've been working on allowing maps to be larger, the largest I've tested as been: 600x600 but quite a few things start to lag.

Quote:
Any timeline on getting the AI to use a sea factory/drop ships to attack islands? If you create an island map, the AI creates hovertanks to attack, but can't figure out how to move builders/land units. Even if you give it some hovercrafts. Would be open to help work on that project if you want input/help.

I don't have a timeline, but that is the next thing I what to fix with the AI. Right now that does limit type maps I can make for single player.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 pm

I will add some rocks and trees to the items layer to see if it works differently. But if you could look at the code that would save me some banging away.

How about replacing the 'large-cliff' etc with a numeric terrain cost property? So that a low cost terrain was faster than a high cost terrain. e.g. long grass is fast, forest slow, mountains very slow.

I think that would open up some very cool map/strategy options.

After thinking about it more, I would put that above fixing the AI's blindness when it comes to shipping.

Is there anyway to restrict building of specific types of units by the player or AI? For example, not allowing any air or hover vehicles would force a tank/artillery level that could be cool too.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

fog: map, none
type: challenge,mission,skirmish, survival
winCondition: none, allUnitsAndBuildings, allBuildings, mainBuilings, commandCenter

Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:10 am